SUDAN WATCH: 1 of 2 missing CNPC oil workers found alive by Sudan army - 1 soldier killed, 1 wounded - Captors led by Misseriya tribesman Abu Humaid Ahmed Dannay

Friday, October 31, 2008

1 of 2 missing CNPC oil workers found alive by Sudan army - 1 soldier killed, 1 wounded - Captors led by Misseriya tribesman Abu Humaid Ahmed Dannay

Good news. Friday, 31 October 2008 (Xinhua Beijing via Reuters Africa, reporting by Ian Ransom; Editing by Paul Tait) - Kidnapped Chinese oil worker found in Sudan-Xinhua excerpt:
A Chinese oil worker held hostage in central Sudan for more than a week after being taken from an oil field with eight colleagues has been found alive by the Sudan army, state media said on Friday, citing the Chinese embassy.

Four of the Chinese oil workers were confirmed killed earlier this week, while three others were in hospital after being rescued.

"The Chinese embassy said that it would continue to cooperate with the Sudanese authorities and to do their best to find out the fate of the last Chinese worker," Xinhua said.

China sent a team of officials to Sudan on Thursday to seek the release of the oil workers after four of those kidnapped died in a clash between their captors and Sudanese forces.
Let's hope the other poor chap is found alive and well. More updates here later.
- - -

1 soldier killed, 1 wounded while tracking kidnapped Chinese oil workers - Kidnappers led by Misseriya tribesman Abu Humaid Ahmed Dannay

Bad news. Sudan Tribune (Khartoum) report Thursday, 30 October 2008 - Soldier killed while tracking kidnapped Chinese oil workers - excerpt:
One soldier was killed and another wounded Wednesday night during the tracking of the kidnappers of Chinese oil workers.

The kidnappers are led by Abu Humaid Ahmed Dannay, a Misseriya tribesman who said the abduction was aimed at drawing attention to the lack of development in the region and the failure of oil companies operating there to help provide services or jobs for natives.
Note, the report points out that:
the Misseriya were also blamed for the kidnapping of four Indian oil workers and their Sudanese driver in the same area in May. All five managed to escape or were released unharmed, the last one in July.
- - -

Today, I came across the following news item at China's Foreign Ministry website, dated 26 March 2004:
Q: Is it true that the other Chinese worker abducted by the rebels of Sudan has been rescued?

A: According to the latest information from the Chinese Embassy in Sudan, thanks to all-out efforts of China, Sudan and ICRC, the second Chinese worker abducted by the anti-government militants of Sudan was rescued on the morning of 27th March(Beijing Time), following the safe escape of the other Chinese worker on 19th March. Currently the rescued person is in good health and spirit. The Charge d'Affaire a.i. of the Chinese Embassy in Sudan had greeted the rescued worker by phone. Therefore, the two Chinese workers abducted by the anti-government militants of Sudan are all out of danger.
- - -

Also today, the following excerpt from Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Jiang Yu's Regular Press Conference 30 October 2008:
Q: "... about the Chinese hostages in Sudan, exactly how many of them were killed, how many were rescued and how many are still missing?

A: "... according to the latest information, among the nine CNPC workers kidnapped in Sudan, four were killed, three were rescued, two are still missing. The rescued have already received medical treatment and are now safe.

This morning, a working group led by the Foreign Ministry, with members from the Ministry of Commerce and CNPC left for Sudan. The working group will join our Embassy in Sudan in taking care of the aftermath and conveying condolences of the CPC Central Committee and State Council to the victims and consolation to the rescued. They will keep contact with Sudan, urging it to continue the rescue efforts to their best, bring the murderers to justice and take every measure necessary to protect life and property of Chinese citizens in Sudan.

Q: Sudan and China gave different numbers of casualties and those missing in the kidnapping incident. Do you reach consensus on that now? Could you also tell us who are the members of the working group handling the incident?

A: I have briefed you earlier on the latest developments. Among those kidnapped, four were killed, three were rescued and two were still missing. This is the latest figure I have got up to now.

On October 19th, just the next day after the kidnapping, China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) has sent a working group to Sudan to handle the aftermath. The second working group, a governmental taskforce headed by the Chinese Foreign Ministry, with members from the Ministry of Commerce and the CNPC set off to Sudan early this morning.
For further reports, click on Abyei label here below.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click HERE to scroll up ......Click HERE to scroll down