Saturday, March 28, 2009

"Pulitzer Prize" winning photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine

"Pulitzer Prize" winning photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine

This photo is the "Pulitzer Prize" winning photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine. The picture depicts a famine stricken child crawling towards a United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away.

The vulture is waiting for the child to die so it can eat it. This picture shocked the whole world. No one knows what happened to the child, not even the photographer Kevin Carter who left the place as soon as the photograph was taken.

Three months later he commited suicide due to depression.

[This photo from Sudan Watch archives has been viewed 4,554 times. I am leaving it at the top of this page while I take a short break to catch up on resting, reading and emails. Please forgive me if I owe you an email or reply. I receive so many requests for help and information that it is impossible for me to keep up with it all. I regret not having composed a standard reply that I could have sent out as an acknowledgement and thanks. I fear that people think badly of me for not replying to their emails. Meanwhile, I hope that this photo will remind readers of Sudan Watch to think of all the children in Sudan and Chad and pray that the UN Security Council takes advice from Djibril Bassole, the joint African Union and United Nations Chief Mediator for Darfur, to take heed of the African Union's concerns and use the council's power to suspend the ICC's proceedings against Sudanese President Omar Al-Bashir]

P.S. Former Sudanese child soldier Emmanuel Jal was a young teenager in southern Sudan when the above photo was taken. He was taken from his family home in 1987 when he was six or seven years old, and sent to fight with the rebel army in Sudan’s bloody civil war. For nearly five years, he was a “child warrior,” put into battle carrying an AK-47 that was taller than he was. Click here to read his incredible true story and view short video clips.

No comments: