Tuesday, June 25, 2019

BBC Arabic reporter Mohamed Osman in Khartoum confirms that the internet remains blocked despite Sunday's court order

NOTE from Sudan Watch Editor:
On Sunday 23 June 2019 this blog Sudan Watch, authored in England, UK and hosted by Google, received some visitors located in Sudan for the first time since 3 June. 

However, a news report published by the BBC yesterday (Mon 24 June) says: 

"A lawyer in Sudan has told the BBC that the internet has been restored after a three-week shutdown - but only for him. 

Abdel-Adheem Hassan on Sunday won a lawsuit against telecoms operator Zain Sudan over the blackout ordered by Sudan's military rulers. 

However, he says his victory is only benefitting him so far as he filed the case in a personal capacity. 

Mr Hassan said he is currently the only civilian in the country able to access the internet without resorting to complicated hacks. 

He said he is going back to court on Tuesday [25 June] to win the right for more Sudanese people. 

"We have a court session tomorrow and another one the day after tomorrow. Hopefully one million people will gain internet access by the end of the week," Mr Hassan added. 

 BBC Arabic reporter Mohamed Osman in Khartoum confirms that the internet remains blocked despite 
Sunday's court order.
To read full story click here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48744853

No comments: