Monday, May 15, 2023

Irish EU ambassador to Sudan speaks of being attacked. Jordanian embassy in Khartoum ransacked

NOTE from Sudan Watch Editor: The following report tells us Ambassador O'Hara was not the only diplomat to have such an experience as “very few” diplomatic premises were untouched. Also, a news report below says the Jordanian embassy in Khartoum was overrun and and sabotaged today.


Report from The Irish Times


By Vivienne Clarke


Dated Friday 12 May 2023; 15:15 - full copy:


Irish EU ambassador to Sudan speaks of relief at being unhurt after military ‘stormed’ home


Aidan O’Hara, who was interrogated and held at gunpoint, says he was not the only diplomat to have such an experience

Aidan O'Hara, Ambassador of the European Union to the Republic of Sudan. Photograph: Aidan O'Hara/Twitter 


EU ambassador to Sudan Aidan O’Hara, who was assaulted after armed men in military fatigues “stormed” his home in Khartoum last month, has told of his relief that he was unhurt during the incident.


While the assault had been stressful, he told RTÉ Radio’s News at One, it had been more stressful hearing bombs explode and gunfire on the streets close to his home.


The good news, the Irishman added, was that although he had been interrogated and had been held at gunpoint, the incident lasted about 45 minutes. He was not the only diplomat to have such an experience as “very few” diplomatic premises were untouched.


Mr O’Hara was a long-serving diplomat in the Department of Foreign Affairs before he became an EU ambassador.


His experience of getting out of Sudan had been eventful with a bomb being dropped close to the convoy during the transfer by French military to the airbase from which they were evacuated. “This was obviously a consular operation, but it was also a military operation. And I think it had to be conducted in very strict terms.”


Until the outbreak of hostilities, Mr O’Hara had been conducting talks with the military and civilian authorities in an effort to keep the civilian process on track, he said. “And then everything came apart on the morning of April 15th.


“My memory of that morning was not that unusual because there are so many armed groups in Khartoum you sometimes hear volleys of gunfire. But on April 15th, it was a Friday and gunfire was quite close to the house, followed by explosions, followed by a lot of black smoke.


“That was the first time there was quite a clear signal that everything had changed. The important thing for me afterwards is that I’m fine and I was unhurt. And it wasn’t a pleasant experience, obviously. But what I think was it was not the most dreadful thing that happened to me, and it was a week to 10 days during the conflict while I was present, I think like everybody else in Khartoum, and elsewhere and in Sudan, what was more stressful was being at home with bombs falling and gunfire on the streets.


“I think I consider myself very fortunate now to be out of Khartoum and still trying to work on the political process and to get the civilian rhythm back on track. But I’m very relieved that I was unhurt. And if I can just say a very big thank you to so many people who reached out to a variety of means to see whether I was okay and to inquire about my welfare and to give me support. And I think of my colleagues in the External Action Service, my colleagues in the Department of Foreign affairs and the Tánaiste too.


“But so many friends and so many people who I’ve met at some point in the past, even going back to my school days, who somehow managed to find me. And I am very grateful for that. I’ve tried to reply to some people, but there are now so many. It’s been quite overwhelming and I don’t know if I’ll get to reply to everybody in person. So this is a very welcome opportunity to say thank you to people, even though I haven’t been in touch with them”.


Mr O’Hara said he hoped to get back to Khartoum at the earliest opportunity.


View original: https://www.irishtimes.com/world/africa/2023/05/12/irish-eu-ambassador-to-sudan-speaks-of-relief-at-being-unhurt-after-military-stormed-home/

_________________________________


Report from The National

Agencies contributed to this report

Dated Monday 15 May 2023 - excerpt:

Jordanian embassy in Khartoum ransacked as Sudan fighting rages


The Jordanian embassy in Khartoum was “overrun and sabotaged” on Monday, the kingdom's foreign ministry said, as the Sudanese army conducted air raids against Rapid Support Forces targets in the capital.


No Jordanian diplomats were harmed as none were there, with Jordan having moved staff to the nearby city of Port Sudan weeks ago.


An official from the Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates told state television that the “Jordanian diplomatic mission in Sudan is all right”.


“The embassy's building in Khartoum was overrun and sabotaged,” an official Jordanian statement said, without naming the perpetrators.


“The foreign ministry condemns the assault, and all forms of sabotage and violence, especially those targeting diplomatic missions.”


Read full story: https://www.thenationalnews.com/mena/2023/05/15/jordanian-embassy-in-khartoum-ransacked-as-sudan-fighting-rages/


[Ends]

No comments: